~ ALL SAINT'S CHURCH ~
NEAR KINGS BRIDGE (EASTBRIDGE)
Rebuilt in 1828, restored in 1878, closed in 1902, and demolished in 1937 or 38 (you can see the outline of the church in the street)
The register dates from 1559
The steeple was taken down in 1769 to accomodate for the widening of the King's bridge
The new "All Saint's Church" is the Old Garrison Church
Drawing by R. Godfrey from my A Walk in and about the city of Canterbury written by William Gostling M.A. second edition 1777, you can see the weavers houses and the King's Bridge in the background (the drawing is also in Canterbury in the Olden Time by John Brent 1879)
The clock goes from the steeple of the church to the East Bridge Hospital.
The steeple and the clock have been removed
A detail from an old postcard showing All Saints Church in High Street, near King's Bridge
1793 - Marriage, October 6th at All Saints, Canterbury, Mr. James RONALDS, Jun. Gunmaker, to Miss Caharine, Bietchynden, of Bi?sington priory. KR
A view of King's Bridge from a map in my collection (1595), also showing All Saints Church on the right
December 19th, 1795, marriage at All Saint's, Canterbury, Mr. John HUDSON, jun. carpenter, to Miss LEPINE, daughter of Mr. Charles LEPINE. KR
Patron, The Lord Chancellor
Incumbent, John Bowes BUNCE, Summerhill
Rector, Thomas BARTLETT, Kingston
Curate, Thomas Henry BARTLETT, Marslr, Terrace
Samuel GREAVES, High Street
W. HORSLEY, High Street
Parish Clerk, S. WHITE, Blackfriars
Sexton, W. OAKENFULL, Cock Lane
All Saint's Church is situated on the north side of High Street, near Kingsbridge. It consists of two aisles and two chancels. It was rebuilt on the site of the old one, which was erected in the time of Edward III. The patronage of this church was formerly in the possession of the convent of St. Augustine; but was surrendered to Henry VIII. in the year 1539, and has since continued in the crown. The church was united by Archbishop Sancroft, in 1684, to St. Mildred. It is a rectory; the value of the living is taxed at 80l. 1838
A stately visit was paid to Canterbury in 1613 by Prince Charles, his sister Elizabeth, and her husband the Palgrave. The city waits discoursed loud music on the top of All Saints' tower.....CC
Old Churchyard of All Saint's Church, Kings Bridge
All Saints, in which Roger Brent, an Alderman of this City, and thrice Mayor, lies buried. He gave a Messuage, called Stone Hall to this City. MBA1738
"..A few paces farther brings us to King's or East bridge, with All Saints church. The way over this bridge, being very narrow, was widened in 1769, on which occasion it was necessary to take down the steeple of the church, which stood quite into the street." KT1776
A view of St. Peter's Street through the Westgate, showing the Tower of All Saints Church on the left
"All Saints Church is a small brick building on the north side of King street near Kingsbridge. It consists of two aisles, with a square tower, surmounted with pinnacles and ornamented with a clock. It was rebuilt in 1828, on the site of a venerable edifice, which was erected in the time of Edward III. The patronage of this church was formerly in the possession of the convent of St. Augustine; but was surrendered to Henry VIII., in 1539, and has since continued in the crown. The church was united by Archbishop Sancroft to St. Mildred. It is a rectory enjoyed by the Rev. Joseph Hobart James, and valued at £150." 1847D
A view of All Saints Church, c. 1900's after the restoration
The original All Saints church, which was erected in the time of Edward III., was taken down and rebuilt in 1828 with yellow brick in a modern Gothic style with a square tower that held a clock and one bell. It was restored and reseated in 1878. It was joined with St. Alphege in 1902, and then made redundant. It was afterwards used for other purposes, and finally demolished in the Fall of 1938. The churchyard itself is still open to the public during the day, where part of the west wall of the church remains.
A view of All Saints Church through the trees from the Blackfriars
"All Saints Church is situated on the north side of the High street, almost adjoining to Kingsbridge. It is a building, which notwithstanding the late repair of it, has no very sightly appearance, being built of rubble stone and covered with plaister; seemingly of about king Edward III's reign. It consists of two isles and two chancels, having a turret at the west end of the south side, new built in 1769, in which is a clock and only one bell. The old steeple projected so far into the street, that when Kingsbridge adjoining was widened at the above time, for the accommodation of the public, it was found necessary to take down the steeple of this church, and to re-build it as at present. This church has no monuments, and not many inscriptions in it. It is situated so very low, close to the river side, that it is exceedingly damp. It appears by the survey of the king's commissioners, taken anno 2 Edward VI. that there were lands given by Thomas Fryer, by his will for a yearly obit, to be kept within this church for ever, and that there was rent given by John Coleman, by his will, for another obit for the space of twenty years from 1536. This church's cemetery or church-yard was acquired and laid to it but in modern times, as it were, says Somner, for in king Henry III's time and afterwards in king Edward III's time too, it was in private hands, as appears by several deeds of those times, and did anciently belong, in part at least, to Eastbridge hospital. It is situated on the north side of the church, and being on higher ground, has many tomb and head stones remaining in it. The patronage of this church, which is a rectory, was part of the possessions of the abbot and convent of St. Augustine, with which it continued till the general dissolution of monasteries in the reign of Henry VIII. in the 30th year of which, it was, with the rest of the possessions of it, surrendered into the king's hands, where it has remained every since, the king being at this time patron of it. This church, with that of St. Mary de Castro, before united to it, was in the year 1684, united by archbishop Sancroft to that of St. Mildred, in this city, with the consent of the mayor and aldermen and justices of the peace of it, and of the king patron of it. In the ancient taxation, in king Richard II's time, this church was valued at four pounds per annum, but on account of the slenderness of its income, was not charged to the tenth. This rectory is valued in the king's books at seven pounds per annum. In 1588 there were one hundred and thirty-five communicants. In 1640 it was valued at thirty pounds, communicants one hundred and five. There is a terrier of this rectory, but without date, in the registry of the consistory court of Canterbury. John Coleman of this parish who lies buried in our Lady's chapel, in this church, by his will anno 1535, gave his garden, which lay opposite the parsonage of it, to the parsons of it and their successors for ever.
All Saint's Churchyard
Somner mentions some grave stones in it remaining in his time, of persons of good account buried in it; among others, of Roger Brent, an alderman, and thrice mayor of this city, who died in 1486, and was buried in St. Mary's chapel, in this church, and as appears by his will, was a good benefactor to the city. On his gravestone were the arms of Brent, impaling Lee; on another gravestone were the arms of Apulderfield, impaling Evering; and on another, two chevrons, impaling three chevronels: and in one of the windows were the arms of archbishop Morton. All which have long since obliterated.
The following inscriptions on gravestones are among others remaining in it: In the fourth aisle, a memorial for Shadrack Tyler, B.A. son of Robert Tyler, vicar of S. Laurence; and grandson of Shadrack Cooke, vicar of Faversham, obt. 1756. Another for Joseph Royle alderman, obt. 1788. John Fuller, alderman obt. 1569. In the register of this parish, which begins in 1559, are several entries among the burials of the Bridge's, Denne's, Six's and Sawkins's." HT
Gravestones in All Saint's Churchyard
"All Saints is a modern church of a debased style of architecture, built near or partly upon the site of the ancient church, which stood more in the street.
All Saints contained at one time tombs or memorials to some of the principal inhabitants amongst whom we might mention Roger Brent, M.P. for the city in the time of Edward IV., and John Coleman, buried in the Lady Chapel of the old building. He was a benefactor to the church."
All Saint's Church, which stands on the north side of the High Street, between the East-bridge and the corner of Best's Lane, nearly opposite East-bridge Hospital, is about the centre point of the city within the walls. It is among the least interesting of the churches, far less so than those in poverty and decay. Its mean pretensions, modern air, its yellow brick and stucco, coloured glass in the heads of the windows, the patterns of which remind you of "union-jacks," and affectations of architectural forms, will deter any one who values realities, ever so modest and humble, from stepping over its threshold out of mere curiosity. If people cannot afford to build God's house of stone, whilst they can use it for markets, exchanges, museums, &c, but must use brick, do not suffer them, without a remonstrance, to give shams aping to be stone. The architect of right feeling and good taste, who has to employ poor materials should build accordingly, in the best way, but in forms suitable to brick. In this case, All Saints', like other modern churches, reminds you of the daw in borrowed plumes. Since Somner speaks of the old church as affording no ancient monument with an inscription or epitaph, though some men of good note were buried there, none will be found in it. It belonged to the patronage of St. Austin's, and its cemetery ground anciently belonged to East-bridge Hospital. Out of all bitters a sweet may be extracted, and event the forms of All Saint's Church may be turned to good and picturesque account. COT
F. H. Browne and sons* built an organ for All Saints Church, it was then moved to St. Alphege church in 1879, likely due to the restoration of All Saints in 1878.
*they are still in business
A view looking south-west from the Blackfriars with All Saints Church in the background, Summerly
TERRY'S baptized at ALL SAINTS
Feb. 25th, 1691 John baseborn son of John Wick (?) TERRY and Anne Wickham
January 13th, 1760 Elizabeth daughter of William and Anne TERRY
September 19th, 1762 Rebecca daughter of William and Ann TERRY
Samuel Terry, May 12, 1763, child of John and Ann(e) Terry
Sarah Terry, March 24, 1765, death prior to 1774, child of John and Ann(e) Terry
Mary Terry, August 3, 1766, child of John and Ann(e) Terry**
Ann Terry, July 8, 1768, child of John and Ann(e) Terry
John Terry, February 28, 1772, child of John and Ann(e) Terry
Sarah Terry, October 21, 1774, child of John and Ann(e) Terry
Elizabeth Terry, June 16, 1783, child of John and Ann(e) Terry
Mary Ann Terry, September 22, 1793, daughter of John and Mary Terry**
May 10th, 1795, Mary daughter of Thomas and Mary TERRY. Private in the Somersetshire Militia.
James Terry, October 25, 1795, child of John and Mary Terry**
Elizabeth Terry, January 7, 1798, child of John and Mary Terry
George William Terry, April 14, 1799, child of John and Mary Terry
TERRY'S buried at ALL SAINTS
November 14th, 1697, John TERRY
September 30th, 1711, John son of John TERRY
July 1st, 1761 Elizabeth TERRY
February 27th, 1774 John TERRY
January 24th, 1798, Elizabeth daughter of John and Mary TERRY
TERRY'S Married at ALL SAINTS
September 1, 1664 Bassell TERRY married Elizabeth (?)
October 17th, 1706, Thomas TERRY of Eastbridge married Marth Combes of Wye
November 22nd, 1759, William TERRY married Ann Jancock. Witnesses, Ambrose Gibbs & Thomas Sims
February 7th, 1760, Samuel TERRY married Mary Powell (of St. Mildred's). Witnesses Henry Lunsell (?) and Mary TERRY
January 1st, 1773, John TERRY, widower married Mary Dixon. Wittnesses, Isaac TERRY and John Burgess
TERRY'S Banns at ALL SAINTS
August 10th, 17th and 24th, 1755, Charles Strickland of Burgate and Sarah TERRY
James Duthoit (1809-1886 Reigate, Surrey) married his cousin Mary Trimnell (1802-1891) at All Saint's Church, Canterbury *proceedings of the Huguenot Society of London - she was christened July 3, 1802 at Union Chapel Watling Street - Lady Huntingdon's Canterbury, to parents Mary and John Trimnell. James was christened August 27, 1809 in Spitalfields, Clerkenwell, London. They are both buried in Reigate, Surrey. The Duthoit family was being christened in the Walloon church in Canterbury c. 1660's and possibly earlier
Henry John Gauntlett (Doctor of Music) married Henrietta Gipps Mount (1819 -1891 Fulham) at All Saint's Church, on October 5th, 1841. Henrietta was the daughter of William Mount. (1841 - Oct-Dec, Vol 5, page 121, Canterbury). They were at the Clifton Hotel in Gravesend, Kent in 1851 with their son Henry C. Gauntlett. Henry C.D. Gauntlett grew up to be a printer & publisher. The family were living in London in the 1870's.
?Probably vicar of All Saints, Canterbury 1550
Philemon Pownoll, Rector of All Saints, Canterbury, 10 Feb 1608
1795 - 1818 -Edward W. Whitaker of Christ Church, Oxford, became Curate of St. John's Clerkenwell, afterwards Rector of St. Mildred's and All Saints', Canterbury and subsequently resided at Egham, Surrey. *1795 - The Monthly Review Sept 1795
**Death, October 14th. On Bread Street Hill, aged 68, Rev. E.W. Whitaker, rector of St. Mildred's Bread Street, and All Saints, Canterbury. He was the son of Serjeant Whitaker, and received his education at Christ Church, Oxford. Among the productions of his pen, which are numerous and valuable, may be reckoned the following viz. "Family Sermons, and Sermons on Education;" "Four Dialogues on the Doctrine of the Trinity;" A commentary on the Revelations of St. John; A dissertation on the Prophecies relating to the Restoration of the Jews; An Abridgement of Universal History; &c. But the most lasting monument, as well of his talents, as his kind affections, is The Refuge for the Destitute, of which he was the planner, founder, and joint treasurer.
"Ecclesiastical Preferments - Rev. John Francis, St. Mildred and All Saints R. Canterbury, vice Whitaker, dec." GM1818
1828 "Died at Canterbury, in his 80th year, the Rev. John Francis, Rector of St. Mildred's and All Saints in that city, and one of the six Preachers in the Cathedral. He was of Pemb. Coll. Camb. B.A. 1771, M.A. 1774; was appointed to his Preachership at Canterbury in 1802; and was presented to his livings in that city by the King in 1818." GM1828
The Rev. Thomas Bartlett M.A., Rector of All Saints, Canterbury (date 1834?) *testimonials of respect. Rev. T. Bartlett, late Rector of St. Mildred's and All Saints Canterbury, by his congregations, with an elegant tea and coffee service, of the value of sixty guineas. (The Church Magazine, January 1839) - was a writer also
*The Rev. Thomas Bartlett, Rector of the Parish, has in his possession several relics of Bishop Butler. The relics consist of a very handsome and massive gold watch, a snuff-box, two memorandum books, with notes of bills paid, a tablecloth, and a Greek Testament, with the Bishop's own notes in it. On the flyleaf of this Testament are some remarks on the Bishop's character and works, written by Dr. Chalmers, on the one occasion when the book was shown to him. The tablecloth, which is extremely rich, was originally a court dress, which the author of "The Analogy" gave to his favourite niece, the grandmother of the rector's wife (Mrs. Bartlett), to whom the relics have descended. (Burton Latimer, Kettering, Northamptonshire) *his youngest daughter Augusta Almeria was married on July 3, 1861 to the eldest son of the Rev. C. A. Binns, rector of ?, Hunts.
1847 - Rev. Joseph Hobart James
1858 - Rev. J. Rollands, M.A.
1865 - Sept. 10th, died suddenly, at Clovelly Rectory, aged 50, the Rev. Josiah Rodwell, Curate of St. Mildred's and All Saints', Canterbury
1869-1877 - John Samuel Sidebotham (first son of Samuel of Marylebone, London, gentlemen) Lincoln Coll. matric 15 March 1849, age 18, B.A. 1853; chaplain New Coll. 1853-66, M.A. 1855, one of the four city lecturers at St. Martin Carfax, Oxford, 1859-70
1875 - Miss Ada Saddleton, All Saints, Canterbury *from a list of subscribers to "Organ Pieces composed by Charles Joseph Frost" (The Musical Times)
1882 - Rev. James Mangan D.D., LL.D. - Hours of Service, 7 pm.
...Rector of All Saints, Canterbury 1883-8: of St. Mildred's 1888-1895, Died 28 Dec. 1895.
late 1880's - Rev. John Parmiter, M.A.
© T. Machado 2007