~ CANTERBURY CEMETERY ~
Opened July 4th, 1877
http://wikimapia.org/#lat=51.2847961&lon=1.0624284&z=17&l=0&m=b (an ariel view here)
Copy and paste the link above, which will take you to some interments in the cemetery
March 3, 1876 The Building News
At a meeting of the Canterbury Burial Board on Wednesday week, plans submitted by Mr. Wright for the new cemetery, were approved, and the borough surveyor, Mr. Hall, was instructed to prepare specifications of the buildings and advertise for tenders.
March 24, 1876 The Building News
Contracts open for building estimates - Canterbury, April 25 - For the erection of two cemetery chapels, mortuary, hearse house, porter's lodge, fencing, &c. Mr. J. G. Hall, architect, 8 St. Margaret's Street, Canterbury.
June 16, 1876 - At a meeting of the Canterbury Town Council, held on the 7th inst., it was determined to carry out the plan of the city surveyor for the cemetery buildings in its entirety, and the tender of Mr. H. B. Wilson was accepted, subject to revision by the architect.
Canterbury Cathedral Archives holds registers from 1877-1953 (ref CC/Q/BB/F)
"The Cemetery situated near the Whitstable road and comprising an area of 12 acres, was opened 4th July, 1877, for those parishes lying within the parliamentary and municipal limits; about half the ground has been consecrated and a portion of the other half is reserved for consecration should it be required; the remainder being allotted to Nonconformists, Catholics, Jews and the Society of Friends; there are two chapels, united by a central tower and spire 106 feet high and a lodge for the curator: the south-east buildings are faced with rag stone and have Bath stone dressings; the cost of the land, planting, fencing &c. and buildings was about 9,000 pounds: J.G. Hall esq. Assoc., Mem. Inst. C.E. was the architect; the Town Council form the Burial Board."1882D
Showing the church in the cemtery c. 1900 from an old postcard in my collection
Photo 2011 courtesy of Barney Hunt
"Canterbury Cemetery. This cemetery is situated at the foot of St. Thomas's Hill, and consists of 14 acres tastefully laid out in serpentine walks. There is a pretty Church in the centre, built of Kentish rag stone, with a handsome spire." 1889
In 1889 the cemetery was open to the public daily and on Sundays from noon till sunset, and notices for interments had to be handed in at the Town Clerks Office, which was located at 1 Castle street, between the hours of 10 am and 5 pm.
In 1889, H. Martin was the Superintendent of the Cemetery located at Cemetery Lodge
In 1903, Henry Martin was the Superintendent of the Cemetery, Cemetery Lodge, Whitstable road, Henry Fielden, Registrar
In 1917 the Cemetery Superintendent was Mr. J. W. Harrison
Photos 2011 courtesy of Barney Hunt
August 2, 1912
Funeral of a Military Veteran - The funeral took place on Tuesday afternoon at the Canterbury Cemetery of Mr. Thomas Caddington, of Union Street, who died on the previous Saturday, at the age of 77. The deceased served in the Royal Horse Artillery, being there at the time of the Mutiny, though he did not take active part in the campaign. On returning to Canterbury he took his discharge and was subsequently appointed to the post of canteen steward, R.H.A. The funeral was of a semi-military character. the C Battery Royal Horse Artillery kindly lent a gun carriage, by permission of Major Butler, six gunners acted as body bearers, and the staff sergeants and sergeants of the Horse Artillery followed. The chief mourners were: - The widow, Captain T. Caddington, R.H.A., Captain C. Caddington, Royal Horse Guards (sons of the deceased), Mrs. Robb (daughter), and Mrs. Knight. There were about thirty wreaths, one of which was sent by the C Battery at Canterbury. A large number of friends of the family and others who had known the deceased were present at the graveside.
Showing the burial plot of Sergeant Major Richard Ellis (where the shadow is), courtesy of Barney Hunt
The burial plot of Sergeant Major Richard Ellis, courtesy of Barney Hunt
© T. Machado 2007