~ ST. GEORGE'S CHURCH OF ENGLAND PRIMARY SCHOOL ~
St. George's & St. Mary Magdalene Parochial Schools, Canterbury Lane *erected 1859, enlarged 1902
for 230 children; average attendance 180, James Partridge, master; Miss Bertha Payne, mistress
Credit for this lovely photo goes to the 'Tongeman/ Fairbrass' family
Stephen Herbert Fairbrass 1879-1978 - He is the little boy 2nd left on the bottom row of the photo above
The school closed in 1940.
The photo of the children was taken in the graveyard of St. George's Church, which was right beside the school. The building and graveyard survived the blitz with just a little damage, but both were cleared in 1952 for redevelopment.
Canterbury Lane - St. George's School House
James Partridge, Schoolmaster
© T. Machado 2007