~ ST. MARY BREDIN (BREDING) ~
Little Lady Dungil, St. Mary Breden
ROSE LANE, CANTERBURY
St. Mary Bredin (two burial-grounds)
Installed a new font in 1903
Canterbury map detail (c. 1800)
St. Mary Bredin Parish Records available at the Canterbury Cathedral Archives (1633 - 1993)
IGI has some marriages for St. Mary Bredin
The old graveyard is now under the Marlowe shopping centre
Plans of the rebuilt church (1865-67) on "churchplansonline.org" *groundplan and gallery created by William Wigginton
The church was rebuilt in 1867 at a cost of £4000 and was destroyed by enemy action in 1942
THE NEW ST. MARY BREDIN CHURCH 59 Nunnery Fields
"The church of St. Mary Bredin in Rose lane is of flint in the Gothic style, and has a turret with spire containing 3 bells; the church was new roofed in 1890 at a cost of £220." 1913
One of the bells from St. Mary Bredin Church
Subscription suggested from the Court towards building of St. Mary Bredin Church "Canterbury City Council Meetings 1818-1828"
St. Mary Bredin, east end December 1913 showing the pulpit
caption & photo courtesy of Paul Crampton www.paulcramptonbooks.co.uk/
*the pulpit was fairly new c. 1903
Thomas Fenwick GRANTHAM married Hannah Maria TERRY at St. Mary Bredin, Canterbury on June 24, 1880 (my family)
St. Mary Bredin interior by J.G. Charlton - courtesy of a frequent visitor
The church was re-built in 1867, and had a new pulpit and font installed in 1903. The church was demolished in 1942, after the damage caused by enemy action in the Baedaker raids of WW2.
Patron, Warner George Henry LEE
Incumbent & Rector - Warner George LEE, Dane John Grove
J. MINTER, Rose Lane
James CASTLE, St. Sepulchre's
Parish Clerk, Thomas William HALSEY, Orange Street
Sexton, W. CHURCHILL, Old Dover Road
St. Mary Bredin, chancel 1930's
caption & photo courtesy of Paul Crampton www.paulcramptonbooks.co.uk/
St. Mary Bredin Church 1861 (1877)
This small church is in a neat condition, having recently been restored and partially rebuilt, but it is to be lamented that the interior should have been treated with so little regard to ecclesiastical propriety.* It has a body with a north aisle, which last appears to be a recent addition to the original plan, and there is no distinction of chancel and no arcade; the whole space is pewed, and there is a gallery with an organ at the west end. There is a bell-cot over the west end. On the south side are some single and double lancets with shafts, either restored or, more probably, entirely new insertions and at the east end a triplet; the new northern windows are square-headed, and east of the north aisle is an early Decorated one of two lights. On the south of the altar are three plain Early English sedilia with shafts. Near the south door is a stoup. There is an Elizabethan monument and a modern font. The situation is pretty and quiet, near the Dane John walks.
*1868. St. Mary Bredin has been rebuilt on a larger scale, in flints and in Gothic style, lofty and pretentious, but open to criticism
St. Mary Bredin (situate in Rose Lane near the Dane John) was rebuilt in 1867. The original church was built by William, the son of Harno, the son of Vitalis, one of the followers of William the Conqueror. The spire has lately been erected by subscription in the memory of the late vicar, the Rev. G. B. Lee Warner. The living is a vicrage, held by the Rev. J. Sanger Davies, M.A. Dir 1889
"A view from the Dane John c. 1937, with St. Mary Bredin in the background, see detail close up below"
A view of St. Mary Bredin from the Dane John, pre 1942
This Manor was the Estate of the Chiches, to whom the Aldermanry of Burgate did anciently belong, and who were great Benefactors to the Church of St. Mary Bredin, where are the Arms of the Family, and the Image of Thomas Chich in the West Window, as his name under it shews.
Magna Britannia Antqua & Nova 1738
St. Mary Bredin, west end interior, mid June 1942
caption & photo courtesy of Paul Crampton www.paulcramptonbooks.co.uk/
The Chiches were seated at Goodniston, near Feversham, in Kent. Thomas Chiche is mentioned in "Philpot's Survey," as a great benefactor to the Church of St. Mary Bredin, in Canterbury. His name, effigies, and coat of arms are to be there seen still remaining insculped in stone-work. He was bailiff of Canterbury (the same officer as mayor at present), in 1259. His grandson was Sheriff of Kent in the 15th year of Richard II. and was grandfather of Valentine Chiche (the grandfather of Sir Andrew Judde) - who married Philippa, daughter and heir of Sir Robert Chichele, brother of Henry Chichele, Archbishop of Canterbury, and the munificent founder of All Souls College, Oxford. Valentine Chiche died without male issue; and Margaret, who was his second daughter, succeeded as one of his coheiresses to his estates. 1827
Part of St. Mary Bredin Vicarage Wall
Christening of a Thomas TERRIE, October 12, 1646, to John and Johanna TERRIE
Marriage of Rebeccah TERRIE to Anthonie COOLEY Apirl 30 1648, at Saint Mary Bredin
Marriage of Michael TERRY to Elizabeth KNOWLER, July 15, 1719
Marriage of Edward TERRY to Elizabeth BRUNKER, December 17, 1726
Marriage of Mary TERRY to Peter DOLMER, December 23, 1740
Christening of a Rebecca TERRY June 7, 1753, to Rebecca TERRY
Christening of a Sarah TERRY September 20th, 1753, to Isaac and Mary TERRY
Christening of a Margaret TERRY September 20, 1754, to Isaac and Mary TERRY
Christening of a George TERRY January 22, 1804, to George and Hester TERRY
Christenign of a Sarah TERRY January 22, 1804, to George and Hester TERRY
Marriage of a Rebecca TERRY to Thomas READ, October 12, 1780, at St. Mary Bredin
Possibly part of the old St. Mary Bredin Vicarage, now part of Chantry Hall
"St. Mary Breding, or Bredin, is a small ancient structure, stated to have been built by William Fitz-Hamon, grandson to Vitalis, who came to England with the Conqueror. Several of the Hales family lie buried in this Church: and here is also a memorial for James Ley, an accomplished youth, second son to Sir James Ley, Master of the Court of Wards, and afterwards Earl of Marlborough: he died at Canterbury in 1618, while on his journey to the Continent."
Topographical, Historical, Descriptive, and Literary, Delineation's in Kent, E.W. Brayley, October, 1807
"November 25th, Marriage at St. Mary le bone, Rev. William Barlow, M.A. Vicar of St. Mary, Breden, Canterbury, Chaplain to Duke of Clarence, 2d son of Sir Robert Barlow, K.C.B. to Louisa, daughter of late Robert Jones Adeane, esq. of Babraham, Cambridgeshire."
The Gentlemen's Magazine 1824
Married - Rev. William Barlow, M.A. Vicar of St. Mary Breden, Canterbury, second son of Rear-Admiral Sir Robert Barlow, K.C.B. and Chaplain to his Royal Highness the Duke of Clarence, to Louisa, second daughter of the late Robert Jones Adeane, Esq. of Babraham, Cambridgeshire, at Mary-le-bone Church.
The quarterly theological reviw and ecclesiastical record
The living of St. Mary's Bredin is a vicarage, rated in the king's books at £4. 1. 5 1/2., endowed with £1000 private benefaction, £200 royal bounty, and £2000 parliamentary grant, and in the partronage of H. Lee Warner, Esq.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
The plaque reads "This Stone Marks the corner of St. Mary Bredin Parish Church which stood on this site for almost 1000 years until 1942 AD."
There is a new St. Mary Bredin church located on the corner of Old Dover Road and Nunnery Fields (59 Nunnery Fields).
"The original Church of St. Mary Bredin, situated in Rose Lane, a very small building, was replaced in 1867 by a far larger edifice, in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles and an octagonal bell-turret, surmounted by a lofty spire, added in 1881 by the parishioners, at a cost of £312, as a memorial to the Rev. G. B. Lee Warner, late vicar. There are 520 sittings all free. The register dates from the year 1695. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £420, with residence, in the patronage of Simeon's trustees and held since 1851 by the Rev. Matthew Butterworth Moorhouse M.A. of Queen's College Oxford." 1882
Morton, or Dodingdale, is a manor situated south-east of the city, in the parish of St. Mary Bredin; it belonged to the Dodingdale family, from whom it passed into possesion of several others, and ultimately to William Hammond, its present owner. 1838 directory
William Dobbynson, in 1556
Thomas Panton in 1572 *and rector of St. Mary Magdalen Burgate
John Milner, A.B. March 27, 1596, resigned 1599
John Taylor, A.M. Feb. 24, 1599, resigned 1601
William Strudle, Feb. 13, 1601, resigned 1606
Christopher Cage, Dec 6, 1606, resigned 1610 *likewise vicar of Littlebourne
John Shepherd, Sept. 8, 1610, and in 1636
William Lovelace in 1663
After which this vicarage seems to have been considered as a donative, and a perpetual curate was appointed to it; however, in 1737, I find it held as a sequestration, for it was then committed as such to:
Henry Shove, clerk, who was appointed to it on January 15, 1737
Thomas Leigh, clerk, succeeded him on October 1737 and continued so till Curteis Wightwick, A.M. (and rector of Bonnington) was presented to it by the lord chancellor, on November 23, and inducted the 26th, 1742; he resigned the vicarage in 1751, when it was again put in sequestration, and Thomas Leigh, clerk, was again appointed to it, after whose death Gilman Wall, A.M. was appointed on Jan. 20, 1775, and is the present sequestrator of it.
"St. Mary Bredin, usually called Little Lady Dungeon* church, is situated at a final distance north westward from the Dungeon, whence it takes that name, and Watling-street. It is a very small building seemingly ancient, consisting of a nave, and small isle on the north side of it, and a chancel; at the north-west corner is a wooden pointed turret, in which hang three small bells. You go down into it by several steps, which makes it very damp. This church was built by William, surnamed Fithamon, being the son of Hamon, the son of Vitalis, one of those who came over from Normandy with William the Conqueror. This William was no doubt, the patron of this church, which he had built, and most probably gave it to the neighbouring nunnery of St. Sepulcher, where it staid till the dissolution of that house in king Henry VIII's reign, when the patronage of it was granted anno 29th of it, when the nunnery and the rest of the possessions of it to the archbishop of Canterbury, subject nevertheless to the payment of 3s. to the vicar of this church; all which where again reconveyed by the archbishop to the king in his 37th year, in exchange for other premises, and he granted them the following year to the Hales's, lords of the manor of the Dungeon, whose burial place was within this church; since which the patronage of it has continued in the possession of the owners of that manor, down to Henry Lee Warner, of Walsingham abbey in Norfolk, the present patron of it. Upon the decline of the church of St. Edmund of Riding-gate, not far distant, of the patronage likewise of the same nunnery, it was in 1349 united to this of St. Mary Bredin, with the consent of the prioress and convent**.
This vicarage is valued in the king's books at 4l. 1s. 5 1/2d. and the yearly tenths at 8s. 1 3/4d. In 1588 it was valued at 20l. Communicants 82. It is now of the clear yearly value, as certified, of 18l. 18s.
It was held for a long time as a donative, that is, from about 1670 to 1732, and a curate was licenced to serve in it; but in the latter year the Rev. Curties Wightwick took out the seals for it, and was presented to it as a vicarage, by the lord chancellor; on his resignation in 1751; it was again held in sequestration, and continues so at this time.
There is a terrier of this rectory, dated August 24, 1615, in the registry of the consistory court of Canterbury.
Among the monuments and inscriptions are the following; a mural tablet over the altar for James Ley, an accomplished youth, who after having studied the law for five years at Lincoln's Inn, intending to travel, and waiting at Dover for a fair wind, was taken ill of fever, and returning to Canterbury in hopes of recovery, died here in 1618. Sir James Ley, (afterwards earl of Marlborough) master of the court of wards, the father, erected this monument to his second son, arms below, Ley, argent, a chevron between three seals heads couped, sable a crescent for difference. A mural tablet and inscription, shewing, that in a vault near it, lies Thomas Francis, obt. 1785. Another on the west side of the last, for William Slodden, ob. 1788. Another adjoining, for Mrs. Sarah Graydon, ob. 1795; Gregory Graydon, esq. obt. 1790. Also Mrs. H.R. Hougham, Mrs. S. Shrubsole, and Henry Hougham, esq. of Barton-court. A plain altar tomb on the south side of the altar rails, and round the verge an inscription for Humphrey Hales, esq. son of Sir James Hales, deceased 1555. The same father Sir James Hales. A mural tablet over the above, for George Sheldon, third son of William Sheldon, esq. of Beoly, in Worcestershire, who first married Frances, daughter of Thomas More, esq. of Gobbins in Hertfordshire, and afterwards Elizabeth, only daughter and heir of Sir James Hales, of the Dungeon, the widow of Sir Stephen Hales, K.B. of Sntierfield, in Warwickshire, which George died without issue in 1679, and lies buried here, as does Elizabeth his second wife, who died afterwards that same year; arms, Sheldon, a fess, between three martlets.
St. Mary Bredin, William Mann memorial (destroyed when the church was demolished Aug 1942)
write-up & photo courtesy of Paul Crampton www.paulcramptonbooks.co.uk/
About the middle of the north side is a handsome mural monument, on which are the figures of a man and woman kneeling before a desk, and inscription for William Mann, esq. erected by Frances Blenerhasset, his latter wife. He died in 1615; arms, Mann, or , a chevron ermines, between three lions rampant, sable. A mural tablet near the above, for Sir Christopher Man, buried near to his brother here, obt. 1638. A mural tablet for lady Elizabeth Man, daughter of Richard Willys, esq. of Baals, in Hertfordshire, late wife of Sir William Man, of this city. She died in 1642. A brass plate near the step, close to the altar rails, for Christopher Bachelor, late of this parish, and Katherine, his wife, daughter of Harbert Finch, gent. they both died in 1604; arms, On a bend, three fleurs de lis, between three wings. A brass plate with the arms of Finch; the figure and inscription lost. In the north isle, on a flat stone, under the belfry, a memorial to Capt. James Harris, of Major-General Willis's regiment of marines, obt. 1705; arms, Three crescents, two and one. A flat stone and memorial for Mrs. Abigail, widow of Mr. Robert Dannald, and grand-daughter of Sir Thomas Hayes, sometime lord-mayor, and daughter of Edward Colimore, esq. of Brandford, in Suffolk, obt 1707; arms, In a lozenge, ermine, a canton ermines, impaling a chevron, between three bugle horns. In the chancel are memorials for Nathaniel Denew, who married Dorothy, daughter of Abraham Jacob, of Dover, obt. 1720. Dorothy, wife of the above Nanthaniel Denew, obt. 1743; arms Denew, or, five chevronels, azure, impaling or, on a canton, gules, an eagle displayed of the field. A memorial for Edward Master, obt. 1638. Another for George Master, obt. 1652. At the west end of the south isle, a memorial for Titus Rufford, obt. 1696. Another for Sir Christopher Man, &c. and for Sir Wm. Man, only son of the same, by his second wife Frances, daughter of Sir Edward Master. A memorial for Katherine, eldest daughter of John Shirley, of Lewes, in Sussex; first married to Whittingham Wood, esq. of Bromley, but died the widow of Sir Christopher Man, obt. 1641. Another for Joshua Webster, sometimes a merchant in London, but at his death an inhabitant of this parish, obt. 1696. He was by his will a good benefactor to the school founded and endowed by his father, at Whittington in Derbyshire. Somner says, that several of the Hales's lied buried in this church, and that the effigies and coat armour of John Chiche, who lived in King Henry III's reign, and was owner of the Dungeion manor adjoining, whose coat was, Argent, three lions rampant, azure, were painted in the west window of it, and that the latter was carved on stone in one corner of the chancel. Besides the above, there are frequent entries in the register, which begins in 1552, of the burials of the Berrys; of Silas Johnson, gent. in 1635; of the Mans, Spencer's, the lady Coventry, in 1710, the Denews, Houghams, and Lees. James Dunkin, alderman, was buried in this church in 1624."
*It has the name of Little Lady, from its being the least church in this city, dedicated to our Lady, and its near situation to the Dungeon, or Dunjill, as it is called by the common people, occasioned the latter name.
**The union of these churches, made by the prior and chapter of Canterbury, sede vacante, on Nov. 3, anno 1349, is in Reg. E. Eccles. Christi, Cant. fol 46b, a.b. by which Register, fol. 46b., it appears, that the prioress and convent had only a few quarters of corn out of it for themselves, and the vicars had all the other profits.
The History and Topographical Survey of the county of Kent, Edward Hasted
"St. Mary Bredin's Church stands in Rose lane, leading from High street on the south, and consists of nave, chancel, and one aisle. It was built in the time of William the Conqueror, but there is little to denote the antiquity of its origin; an old font is perhaps the most curious relic. It is usally called Little Lady Dungeon Church, from the circumstance of its being the smallest church in this city dedicated to our Lady. It is a vicarage, valued in the King's books at 4 pounds 1s 5 1/2d. and endowed with £1,000 private benefaction, £2,000 Parliamentary grant, and £200 royal county."
July - Ecclesiastical Preferments - Rev. S. L. Warner, St. Mary, Bredin V. Canterbury. The Gentlemen's Magazine 1847
Also in Canterbury, burials to be discontinued forthwith in the following churches and chapels, and from and after the first January, one thousand eight hundred and fifty-six, in the burial grounds thereof, viz.: St. Mary Bredin (two burial-grounds)..... Bulletins and other state intelligence
Marriage at St. Mary Bredin, Canterbury, the Rev. Chas. Buckner, B.D., of Whyke-house, Chichester, Rector of West Stoke, Sussex, to Emma Roberta, second dau. of the late John James Pierce esq., of Canterbury.
The Gentlemen's Magazine 1861
(Aug 9, 1853- At St. Mary's Lambeth, John Sampson Pierce, eldest son of the late John James Pierce, esq. of Canterbury, to Jane Elizabeth Duncan only daughter of George Duncan esq. of Foxley House, Kennington.- The Gentlemen's Magazine)
"St. Mary Bredin's is an entirely new church, erected in 1866; it replaced a small Norman church which was built by a grandson of a certain Vitalis; who came into England with the Conqueror. In the old church were buried several of the Chiches, of the Donjon Manor, and members of the Hales family, who at a later date held the manor."
Rambles round old Canterbury, 1884
"Erected in 1867, on the site of an old Norman Church. It contains several monuments to the Hales and Chiche families of the Donjon Manor."
Handbook for Canterbury, British Association for the Advancement of Science, Dover 1899
1803 - The Rev. William Henry Champneys, M.A. late of Christ's College, succeeds the Rev. Mr. Wall in the livings of St. Margaret's, and of St. Mary Bredin, both in Canterbury
1811 - Rev. William Henry Champness, Vicar of St. Mary Breden, Canterbury
1822 - Promotions and Preferments - Rev. W. H. White, M.A. of Wadham College, Oxford, St. Mary Bredin V. Canterbury
1824 - Promotions and Preferments Rev. W. Barlow, St. Mary Bredin V. Canterbury
1825 - Marriage of Rev. William Barlow, M.A., Vicar of St. Mary Bredin, Canterbury, second son of Rear-Admiral Sir Robert Barlow, K.C.B., and Chaplain to his Royal Highness the Duke of Clarence, to Louisa, second daughter of the late Robert Jones Adeane, Esq. of Babraham, Cambridgeshire, at Mary-le-bone Church
1828 - Gentlemen's Magazine (Ecclesiastical Preferments) Rev. G. L. Warner, St. Mary Breden V. Canterbury
1840 - Preferment, C. E. Smith, St. Mary Bredin V. Canterbury
1840 - Deaths, Dec 25, Rev. G. L. Warner, late of St. John's College, Cambridge, vicar of St. Mary Bredin, Canterbury, aged 35.
1847 - It is in the patronage of the Rev. D. H. Lee Warner, and incumbency of the Rev. Septimus Lee Warner
1847 - Preferments, S. H. Lee-Warner, St. Mary Bredin (V.), Canterbury
1858 - Rev. George B. Lee Warner
1880 - Rev. M.A. Butterworth
1882 - Rev. Matthew Butterworth Moorhouse M.A. vicar, Hours of Service; 11 am. 7 pm. wed. 7:30 pm. *I have Ramble Round Old Canterbury, which I believe may have belonged to him.
The Rev. M. B. Moorhouse, M.A.
DRAWING FROM HOME WORDS FOR HEART AND HEARTH, FROM A PHOTOGRAPH BY J. BATEMAN
"The Rev. M. B. Moorhouse, M.A., Vicar
of St. Mary Bredin, Canterbury was born at Holmfirth in 1840. He graduated
at Queen's College, Oxford with honours in 1862 and was ordained to
the curacy of Tintwistle near Manchester. In 1868, he was appointed
Incumbent of Hepworth, Yorkshir, where he remained until 1872, when
he accepted the Vicarage of Bushbury, Wolverhampton. In this large parish
he superintended Sunday and week-day services in five outlying districts,
as well as in the fine old parish church. In 1880 he was nominated by
Simeon's Trustees to the Vicarage of St. Mary Bredin, Canterbury. Here
his labours have been greatly blessed and the congregation has recently
purchased a new vicarage house. Home Words is in circulation as the
Parish Magazine, and its local pages frequently contain poems from Mr.
Moorhouses pen. One entitled "Royal Honours," received the
commendation of the Queen, who ordered copies for distribution; another
"A Little Bit of Blue," has been widely ciruculated in conneciton
with Temperance Missions in Canterbury and the neighbourhood. Mr. Moorhouse
is a total abstainer, and took an active part in the great mision recently
held in Canterbury. He is Hon. Secretary of the local branch of the
C. E. T. S., and also a Diocesan Secretary for the county of Kent. He
has published several sermons....." *Married 1868 in Cheshire,
Lancashire - Jane Sidebottom - by 1891 they were in Somerset
1903 - Rev. Joseph John Bambridge, M.A. Hours of Service: 11 am. & 6:30 pm., wed 7:00 pm.
1913 - held since 1895 by the Rev. Joseph John Bambridge M.A. of Durham University, and rural dean of Canterbury
1917 - Holy Baptism, 3, on 2nd Sunday or by appointment; Sunday School 9:45 and 2:30. Hymnal Companion. Vicar, Rev. Canon Bambridge (M.A.) Rural Dean; Churchwardens, Mr. A. Wiltshier and Mr. P.D. Eastes.
© T. Machado 2007